Turkey Apple Stuffed Squash
This Stuffed Squash recipe from The Food Babe is the perfect fall dish to serve for dinner or as a side at one of your festive meal. Enjoy!
- 2 small delicata or acorn squash
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken (vegetarian option: use 3 cups diced mushrooms)
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten (vegan option: mix 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons water)
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the squash on a cutting board and slice in half. Scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, gar-lic and sauté for 4-5 minutes to soften, and then add the turkey and cook until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the diced apple, fennel and sage to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the eggs. Divide the mixture amongst the squash halves and brush the tops with the remaining oil. Place in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
- To serve, place one of the stuffed squash halves on your plate and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis (based on ground turkey + eggs option): Calories 419, Fat: 21g, Protein: 28g, Carbs: 33g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 6g, Sodium: 132mg
This was such a flavorful recipe and everyone enjoyed it thoroughly
We also cooked it on the grill outside so as not to heat up the kitchen
This is a prepare again meal anytime during the year not just around the holidays
Thank you Liat for the suggestion
This is wonderful Sheryl😃I’m glad you have enjoyed this recipe!